This year’s staff favorite, the Butterfly Bounty Garden is a four-season fiesta for pollinators of all shapes and sizes. In early spring, the Catmint and White Soapwort invite honey bees into the garden. In summer, butterflies are found feasting on the vibrant orange and yellow blossoms of the Blanket Flower and Black-Eyed Susans. The Coronado® Hyssop provides a fall refreshment for hummingbirds before their migration south, and the seedheads of the Coneflowers provide a hearty winter meal for birds. Nearly all of the flowers in this garden attract butterflies, so get ready for an extravaganza of color and life this spring with your very own Butterfly Bounty! Welcome the birds, the bees AND the butterflies to your yard with this 100 sq. ft. perennial garden featuring 29 full sun xeric plants.
- Covers: 100 sq. ft.
- 29 starter plants with 13 different varieties in 4-inch pots
- 3 plant by number layout options (7 ft. x 14 ft. rectangle, 20 ft. x 10 ft. triangle or 8 ft. x 16 ft. oval)
- Exposure: Full Sun (requires a minimum of 6 hours of full sun per day)
- Mature Height: 6 in. to 4 ft.
- Hardy To: 6,000 feet
- Colorful: Early Spring to Fall
- Benefits: Locally grown and pollinator friendly
What To Expect
- Xeric Gardens feature anywhere from 14 to 30 starter plants in 4-inch pots. Plants will be small relative to their mature size, and they will not be in full bloom.
- During the 1st and 2nd growing season, xeric plants will be in the establishment phase – requiring regular watering to encourage a deep taproot system, and not yet having reached their full size.
- On average, allow 3 years for your Xeriscape garden to reach full maturity!
- Gardens will easily fit in a small car. One garden will come in either one or two 2 ft. x 1ft. trays (pictured left).
Garden Varieties / Plant Specifics
Attracts: Bees, Butterflies
Blue Grama Grass
Attracts: Small Birds
Catmint 'Select Blue'
Attracts: Bees, Butterflies
European Pasque Flower
Goldenrod 'Golden Baby'
Attracts: Birds, Butterflies
Little Bluestem Grass
Attracts: Bees, Butterflies
Attracts: Butterflies, Hummingbirds
Attracts: Birds, Butterflies, Insects
Attracts: Bees, Butterflies, Hummingbirds
Most simply put, “Garden In A Box” is an easy, professionally designed, do it yourself xeric (low water) perennial or veggie garden kit.
Gardens include 14-32 starter plants that come in either 4-inch or 2.5-inch pots. These plants come in rectangular 2 ft. x 1 ft. trays (see photo below), and will be hardened-off and ready to plant when you pick them up!
Each garden also includes 1-3 professionally designed plant by number maps that make it easy to install your own perennial or vegetable garden at home, and a comprehensive Plant and Care Guide that includes everything you will need to know to prepare for, plant, and maintain your new garden.
All gardens will be available for pick up at one of our convenient distribution locations during the months of May and early June. (For the complete 2018 Garden In A Box pick up schedule, see below.) To select your pick up, you must “Proceed to Checkout” on our online store where you will then be prompted to select your pick up location, date, and time. We do not ship our plants.
You may be eligible for a $25 discount on our pre-planned Xeriscape garden collection through your water provider. To claim your discount you will have to first “Proceed to Check Out” in the garden store where you will be prompted to select your water provider. Your discount(s) should then automatically be applied to your order.
Discounts are limited, so make sure you order your garden sooner rather than later!
Residents in participating cities can receive a $25 discount on xeric gardens as long as discounts are still available.
2018 Participating cities include:
- Arvada (Sold Out)
- Castle Rock (Sold Out)
- Centennial Water (Sold Out)
- Cottonwood Water and Sanitation District
- Denver Water
- Fort Collins Utilities (Sold Out)
- Greeley (Sold Out)
- Longmont (Sold Out)
- Loveland Water and Power (Sold Out)
- Lyons (Sold Out)
- Westminster (Sold Out)
Whether you reside in a participating city or not, you may purchase a garden without the discount.
- Saturday May 5th
- Denver (South), Greenwood Village City Hall, 6060 South Quebec St, 80111, 12pm-3pm
- Westminster/Arvada, Westminster City Hall, 4800 West 92nd Ave, 80031, 12pm-3pm
- Thursday May 10th
- Loveland, Loveland Power & Water, 200 North Wilson Ave, 80537, 4pm-7pm
- Saturday May 12th
- Golden, Public Works/Planning Office, 1445 10th St, 80401, 12pm-3pm
- Longmont, Longmont Service Center, 1100 South Sherman St, 80501 12pm-3pm
- Boulder County, Resource Central, 6400 Arapahoe Rd, 80303, 12pm-3pm
- Thursday May 17th
- Adams County (Brighton, Lochbuie, Northglenn, Thornton), Adams County Fairgrounds, North Parking Lot at Waymire Dome, 9755 Henderson Rd, 80601, 4pm-7pm
- Saturday May 19th
- Denver (Central), Auraria Campus, Elm Parking Lot, 1201 5th St, 80204, 12pm-3pm
- Greeley, Greeley Xeric Gardens, 2503 Reservoir Rd, 80634, 12pm-3pm
- Lafayette/Erie, City of Lafayette City Hall, 1290 South Public Rd, 80026, 12pm-3pm
- Wednesday May 23rd
- Arvada, Majestic View Nature Center, 7030 Garrison St, 80004, 4pm-7pm
- Thursday May 24th
- Denver (West), Abraham Lincoln High School, 2285 South Federal Blvd, 80219, 5pm-7:30pm
- Wednesday May 30th
- Boulder County, Resource Central, 6400 Arapahoe Rd, 80303, 4pm-7pm
- Thursday May 31st
- Highlands Ranch, Shea Stadium, 3270 Redstone Park Cir, 80129, 4pm-7pm
- Saturday June 2nd
- Castle Rock, Castle Rock Water, 175 Kellogg Ct, 80109, 11am-2pm
- Denver (Highlands), Edison Elementary School, 3350 Quitman St, 80212, 11am-2pm
- Fort Collins, Front Range Community College, 4616 South Shields St, 80526, 11am-2pm
Absolutely. Just make sure that they know the first and last name on the order and what exactly you ordered.
No, not exactly. Your Garden In A Box can easily be planted in a raised bed or garden “box,” but it does not include an actual box to plant the garden in. For full details on what your Garden In A Box does include, see above – “What is a ‘Garden In A Box’ and what does it include?”
Probably, but this will depend on how many gardens you have purchased. Each garden will come with either one or two 2 ft. x 1 ft. trays of plants, so please plan accordingly.
Gardens with one 2 ft. x 1 ft. tray:
• Hummingbird Delight
• Purple Reign
• Xeric Greatest Hits
• Victory Garden
Gardens with two 2 ft. x 1 ft. trays:
• Butterfly Bounty
• Colors of Colorado
• Honey Bee Heaven
• Painted Shade
All our plants are born and raised in Colorado. Our perennial plants come from Little Valley Wholesale Nursery in Brighton, one of the largest and most reputable nurseries in Colorado, and Gulley Greenhouse in Fort Collins. Our all-organic vegetable plants are grown at Elliott Gardens in Denver.
No. None of our plants have ever been treated with neonicotinoids.
What Customers Say
Transform Your Landscape into a Paradise for Pollinators
“Without the gardens I would not have been able to transform my sad south facing turf hill into a butterfly attracting Xeriscape garden. Thank you!”
City of Thornton Customer
Great Plant Selection at a Fantastic Price
“The Garden in a Box is a great program. I use it to plant beautiful xeric perennials in my flower areas for a bargain price compared to buying plants individually at the greenhouse.”
City of Boulder Customer
We Take Care of the Design For You!
“One of the biggest benefits of the Garden in a Box for me was the Pre-Planned selection and planting guide. I didn't have to do any research or figure out what looks best. I just spaced the plants out dug a hole. Done! For me it was the path of least resistance.”
City of Fort Collins Customer