Bring a piece of paradise to your outdoor space with the Rocky Mountain-inspired Colors of Colorado Garden. Hardy at elevations up to 10,000’, this garden hosts an array of native perennials that thrive in the high country. Its brilliant display of blossoms in oranges, yellows and reds resemble Colorado’s bright and dynamic landscapes, bringing the Colors of Colorado direct to your front lawn. This scenic beauty includes some of our favorite perennials: the Scarlet Bugler Penstemon, Chocolate Flower and Torch Lily. A feast for the eyes, this garden is also a delightful treat for our pollinator friends: hummingbirds, bees, and butterflies! Bring Colorado’s stunning scenery to your landscape with this 100 sq. ft. perennial garden that features 29 full sun xeric plants.
- Covers: 100 sq. ft.
- 29 starter plants with 8 different varieties in 4-inch pots
- 3 plant by number layout options (7 ft. x 14 ft. rectangle, 10 ft. x 10 ft. square or 12 ft. diameter circle)
- Exposure: Full Sun (requires a minimum of 6 hours of full sun per day)
- Mature Height: 6 in. to 6 ft.
- Hardy To: 8,000 to 10,000 feet
- Colorful: Early Summer to Fall
- Benefits: Locally grown, pollinator friendly, and great for high altitudes
What To Expect
- Xeric Gardens feature anywhere from 14 to 30 starter plants in 4-inch pots. Plants will be small relative to their mature size, and they will not be in full bloom.
- During the 1st and 2nd growing season, xeric plants will be in the establishment phase – requiring regular watering to encourage a deep taproot system, and not yet having reached their full size.
- On average, allow 3 years for your Xeriscape garden to reach full maturity!
- Gardens will easily fit in a small car. One garden will come in either one or two 2 ft. x 1ft. trays (pictured left).
Garden Varieties / Plant Specifics
Blue Grama Grass
Attracts: Small Birds
Prairie Red Coneflower
Red Torch Lily
Scarlet Bugler Penstemon
Attracts: Bees, Butterflies
Most simply put, “Garden In A Box” is an easy, professionally designed, do it yourself xeric (low water) perennial or veggie garden kit.
Gardens include 14-32 starter plants that come in either 4-inch or 2.5-inch pots. These plants come in rectangular 2 ft. x 1 ft. trays (see photo below), and will be hardened-off and ready to plant when you pick them up!
Each garden also includes 1-3 professionally designed plant by number maps that make it easy to install your own perennial or vegetable garden at home, and a comprehensive Plant and Care Guide that includes everything you will need to know to prepare for, plant, and maintain your new garden.
All gardens will be available for pick up at one of our convenient distribution locations during the months of May and early June. (For the complete 2018 Garden In A Box pick up schedule, see below.) To select your pick up, you must “Proceed to Checkout” on our online store where you will then be prompted to select your pick up location, date, and time. We do not ship our plants.
You may be eligible for a $25 discount on our pre-planned Xeriscape garden collection through your water provider. To claim your discount you will have to first “Proceed to Check Out” in the garden store where you will be prompted to select your water provider. Your discount(s) should then automatically be applied to your order.
Discounts are limited, so make sure you order your garden sooner rather than later!
Residents in participating cities can receive a $25 discount on xeric gardens as long as discounts are still available.
2018 Participating cities include:
- Arvada (Sold Out)
- Castle Rock (Sold Out)
- Centennial Water (Sold Out)
- Cottonwood Water and Sanitation District
- Denver Water
- Fort Collins Utilities (Sold Out)
- Greeley (Sold Out)
- Longmont (Sold Out)
- Loveland Water and Power (Sold Out)
- Lyons (Sold Out)
- Westminster (Sold Out)
Whether you reside in a participating city or not, you may purchase a garden without the discount.
- Saturday May 5th
- Denver (South), Greenwood Village City Hall, 6060 South Quebec St, 80111, 12pm-3pm
- Westminster/Arvada, Westminster City Hall, 4800 West 92nd Ave, 80031, 12pm-3pm
- Thursday May 10th
- Loveland, Loveland Power & Water, 200 North Wilson Ave, 80537, 4pm-7pm
- Saturday May 12th
- Golden, Public Works/Planning Office, 1445 10th St, 80401, 12pm-3pm
- Longmont, Longmont Service Center, 1100 South Sherman St, 80501 12pm-3pm
- Boulder County, Resource Central, 6400 Arapahoe Rd, 80303, 12pm-3pm
- Thursday May 17th
- Adams County (Brighton, Lochbuie, Northglenn, Thornton), Adams County Fairgrounds, North Parking Lot at Waymire Dome, 9755 Henderson Rd, 80601, 4pm-7pm
- Saturday May 19th
- Denver (Central), Auraria Campus, Elm Parking Lot, 1201 5th St, 80204, 12pm-3pm
- Greeley, Greeley Xeric Gardens, 2503 Reservoir Rd, 80634, 12pm-3pm
- Lafayette/Erie, City of Lafayette City Hall, 1290 South Public Rd, 80026, 12pm-3pm
- Wednesday May 23rd
- Arvada, Majestic View Nature Center, 7030 Garrison St, 80004, 4pm-7pm
- Thursday May 24th
- Denver (West), Abraham Lincoln High School, 2285 South Federal Blvd, 80219, 5pm-7:30pm
- Wednesday May 30th
- Boulder County, Resource Central, 6400 Arapahoe Rd, 80303, 4pm-7pm
- Thursday May 31st
- Highlands Ranch, Shea Stadium, 3270 Redstone Park Cir, 80129, 4pm-7pm
- Saturday June 2nd
- Castle Rock, Castle Rock Water, 175 Kellogg Ct, 80109, 11am-2pm
- Denver (Highlands), Edison Elementary School, 3350 Quitman St, 80212, 11am-2pm
- Fort Collins, Front Range Community College, 4616 South Shields St, 80526, 11am-2pm
Absolutely. Just make sure that they know the first and last name on the order and what exactly you ordered.
No, not exactly. Your Garden In A Box can easily be planted in a raised bed or garden “box,” but it does not include an actual box to plant the garden in. For full details on what your Garden In A Box does include, see above – “What is a ‘Garden In A Box’ and what does it include?”
Probably, but this will depend on how many gardens you have purchased. Each garden will come with either one or two 2 ft. x 1 ft. trays of plants, so please plan accordingly.
Gardens with one 2 ft. x 1 ft. tray:
• Hummingbird Delight
• Purple Reign
• Xeric Greatest Hits
• Victory Garden
Gardens with two 2 ft. x 1 ft. trays:
• Butterfly Bounty
• Colors of Colorado
• Honey Bee Heaven
• Painted Shade
All our plants are born and raised in Colorado. Our perennial plants come from Little Valley Wholesale Nursery in Brighton, one of the largest and most reputable nurseries in Colorado, and Gulley Greenhouse in Fort Collins. Our all-organic vegetable plants are grown at Elliott Gardens in Denver.
No. None of our plants have ever been treated with neonicotinoids.
What Customers Say
A Perfect Way to Get Your Landscape Started
“The Garden In A Box program was the perfect way to get my landscaping started! I am so excited to have a mix of plants that will grow well in Colorado and look beautiful in my yard!”
Denver Water Customer
A Fun Process
“The whole process from discount, choices of boxes, pick up and planting has been pain free and fun.”
Town of Erie Customer
Create a Pollinator Friendly Habitat
“Very happy with everything you guys have provided. My plants are quite healthy even though I haven't gotten them all in the ground yet. I've had tons of native/non-honeybee bees enjoying all the flowers, which I am so happy to see. And of course, they are attractive to humans too. I think you have balanced the goals of resource conservation, human enjoyment, and pollinator habitat well. I've recommended your program to all my friends and family. Keep doing good things!”
City of Westminster Customer