Just like heading into the mountains for a break from the summer temperatures, this garden will provide you with a peaceful escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, without even leaving your yard! The low-maintenance, colorful, easy to grow Rocky Mountain Retreat garden showcases hardy, full sun perennials, the majority of which thrive in the high country at elevations up to 10,000 ft. You’ll be mesmerized by its winter appeal as well as its dynamic blossoming from early spring through fall with a vibrant display of blues, pinks, purples, whites, yellows, and bronze. The Rocky Mountain Retreat garden fits into a 96 sq. ft. space and boasts 27 plants including the Rocky Mountain Columbine, Purple Coneflower, Rocky Mountain Penstemon, European Pasque Flower, and Native Blanket Flower.
Product DetailsDesigned by: Kenton Seth of Paintbrush Gardens
- Covers: 96 sq. ft.
- 27 starter plants with 11 different varieties in 4-inch pots
- 3 plant by number layout options (16 ft. x 6 ft. rectangle, 12 ft. x 8 ft. rectangle, 14 ft. x 14 ft. triangle)
- Exposure: Full sun (requires a minimum of 6 hrs. of direct sun per day)
- Mature Height Range: 6 in. to 3 ft.
- Hardy to: 6,500 ft.
- Bloom Time: Early spring to fall
- Benefits: Locally grown and pollinator-friendly
What To Expect
- Our xeric gardens feature anywhere from 14 to 30 starter plants in 4-inch pots. Plants will be small relative to their mature size, and they will not be in full bloom.
- "First year they sleep, second year they creep, third year they leap!" During the 1st and 2nd growing season, xeric plants will be in the establishment phase – requiring regular watering to encourage a deep taproot system, and not yet having reached their full size. On average, allow 3 years for your Xeriscape garden to reach full maturity!
- Gardens will easily fit in a small car - yes, we're talking Mini Cooper small - unless you ordered multiple gardens (we're not judging). One garden will come in either one or two 2 ft. x 1 ft. trays (pictured left).
- *When necessary, Resource Central shall select appropriate plant substitutions.
Blue Avena Grass
Autumn Joy Stonecrop
Attracts: Bees, Butterflies
Attracts: Bees, Birds, Butterflies and Hummingbirds
Rocky Mountain Penstemon
Attracts: Native Bees, Hummingbirds
European Pasque Flower
Native Blanket Flower
Attracts: Bees, Butterflies
Santa Fe Aster
Attracts: Bees, Pollinators
Rocky Mountain Columbine
What Customers Say
Thriving Plants at a Great Price
I love this program. In addition to the plants being less expensive than what I can get at my local nursery, the quality of the plants is much better. I've noticed that nearly all of the Garden In A Box plants I put in two years ago are still alive and thriving. "
Centennial Water & Sanitation District Customer
Swap Water Thirsty Grass with Pretty Blooms
"This is a great service. I have participated 2 years in a row, and plan to take out more grass next spring. Grass is a really stupid crop - [xeric] flowers are much better! And prettier! And water saving!”
City of Westminster Customer
Choosing Plants Made Easy
“If I knew about this earlier I would have planted years ago. I was always hung up on not knowing what to plant. I’ve recommended Garden In A Box to so many people!”
Denver Water Customer