Add light and life to those shaded areas in your landscape with the Seasons of Shade Garden! This four season stunner is sure to impress with its glorious shades of cheerful pinks, crisp whites and decadent blues in the spring and summer. Watch it transform before your eyes, as its summer hues fade away, and its fall foliage begins to develop into a rich, reddish-bronze color. The Seasons of Shade Garden boasts summer beauties like the Redleaf Bergenia, White Dwarf Sun Daisy, and Clustered Bellflower. This garden also features dynamic plants, like the Husker Red Penstemon, which boasts creamy white flowers during the growing season and then captivates with its elegant reddish-green foliage throughout the fall and winter months. The Seasons of Shade Garden covers 95 square feet and features 27 show-stopping perennials!
- Covers: 95 sq. ft.
- 27 starter plants with 11 different varieties in 4-inch pots
- 1 plant by number layout option (12’6” x 12’6” triangle with wavy edge)
- Exposure: Part Shade (requires a minimum of 4 hours of Partial Sun per day)
- Mature Height: 1/2 in. to 4 ft.
- Hardy To: 6,500 feet
- Colorful: Early Spring to Fall
- Benefits: Locally grown and pollinator friendly
What To Expect
- Xeric Gardens feature anywhere from 14 to 27 starter plants in 4-inch pots. Plants will be small relative to their mature size, and they will not be in full bloom.
- During the 1st and 2nd growing season, your Xeric plants will be in the establishment phase – requiring regular watering to encourage a deep taproot system, and not yet having reached their full size.
- On average, allow 3 years for your Xeriscape garden to reach full maturity!
- Gardens will easily fit in a small car. One garden will come in either one or two 2 ft. x 1 ft. trays (pictured left).
Garden Varieties / Plant Specifics
Bronze Carpet Bugle
Attracts: Hummingbirds, Butterflies, Bees
Korean Feather Reed Grass
Husker Red Penstemon
Attracts: Bees, Hummingbirds, Butterflies
Prairie Smoke Avens
Attracts: Bees, Bumblebees, Butterflies
White Dwarf Sun Daisy
Most simply put, “Garden In A Box” is an easy, professionally designed, do it yourself xeric (low water) perennial kit.
Gardens include 14-27 starter plants that come in either 4-inch. These plants come in rectangular 2 ft. x 1 ft. trays (see photo below), and will be hardened-off and ready to plant when you pick them up!
Each garden also includes 1-4 professionally designed plant by number maps that make it easy to install your own perennial garden at home, and a comprehensive Plant and Care Guide that includes everything you will need to know to prepare for, plant, and maintain your new garden.
All gardens will be available for pick up at one of our convenient distribution locations during the month of September. (For the complete 2018 Garden In A Box pick up schedule, see below.) To select your pick up, you must “Proceed to Checkout” on our online store where you will then be prompted to select your pick up location, date, and time. We do not ship our plants.
You may be eligible for a $25 discount on our pre-planned Xeriscape garden collection through your water provider. To claim your discount you will have to first “Proceed to Check Out” in the garden store where you will be prompted to select your water provider. Your discount(s) should then automatically be applied to your order.
Discounts are limited, so make sure you order your garden sooner rather than later!
Residents in participating cities can receive a $25 discount on xeric gardens as long as discounts are still available.
2018 Fall participating cities include:
- Centennial Water
- Cottonwood Water and Sanitation District
- Denver Water
- Fort Collins Utilities
- Loveland Water and Power
Whether you reside in a participating city or not, you may purchase a garden without the discount.
- Saturday, September 15th
- Boulder County, Resource Central, 6400 Arapahoe Rd, 80303, 12-3pm
- Denver, Greenwood Village City Hall, 6060 S. Quebec St, 80111, 12-3pm
- Wednesday, September 19th
- Highlands Ranch, Civic Green Park: 9370 Ridgeline Blvd, Highlands Ranch, CO 80129, 4-7pm. Please enter from Burgundy street (the east side) and drive west to pick up your gardens. The pick up will take place at the west end of Green Ash Street along the sidewalk.
- Thursday, September 20th
- Northglenn (Adams County), Maintenance and Operations Facility, 12301 Claude Ct, 80241, 4-7pm
- Saturday, September 22nd
- Westminster/Arvada, Westminster City Hall, 4800 W 92nd Ave, 80031, 12-3pm
- Fort Collins/Loveland, Front Range Community College, 4616 S. Shields St, 80526, 12-3pm
- Saturday, September 29th
- Greeley/Eaton, Greeley Xeric Gardens, 2503 Reservoir Rd, 80634, 12-3pm
Absolutely. Just make sure that they know the first and last name on the order and what exactly you ordered.
No, not exactly. Your Garden In A Box can easily be planted in a raised bed or garden “box,” but it does not include an actual box to plant the garden in. For full details on what your Garden In A Box does include, see above – “What is a ‘Garden In A Box’ and what does it include?”
Probably, but this will depend on how many gardens you have purchased. Each garden will come with either one or two 2 ft. x 1 ft. trays of plants, so please plan accordingly.
Gardens with one 2 ft. x 1 ft. tray:
• Purple Reign
• Xeric Greatest Hits
Gardens with two 2 ft. x 1 ft. trays:
• Morning Sunrise
• Seasons of Shade
• Cool Connection
All our plants are born and raised in Colorado. Our perennial plants come from Little Valley Wholesale Nursery in Brighton, one of the largest and most reputable nurseries in Colorado.
No. None of our plants have ever been treated with neonicotinoids.
What Customers Say
Perfect for Shady Areas
I'm so excited to watch my garden grow! I've had a hard time in the past with finding shade loving, low water plants for my yard, so this was perfect!
City of Longmont Customer
Comes With a Helpful Planting Guide
Fabulous program for inexperienced gardeners like myself. The professional design and the planting guide saves so much time to prepare and almost assures success. Would never have tried a project on this scale ever!!!
City of Westminster Customer
Healthy Plants and a Positive Community
I am very pleased with the Garden In a Box. The plants were lovely and are now growing in our yard and look very healthy. My husband and I helped with passing out the gardens to those who ordered them. All the people (Natalie is the only name that I remember) who were involved with this event at Lincoln High School were friendly and easy to work with. Thank you for such a positive event and for these healthy plants.
Denver Water Customer