The growers have spoken! Our friends at Little Valley Wholesale Nursery in Brighton, CO have created this year’s Xeric Greatest Hits Garden, a striking compilation of their favorite xeric perennials to be used creatively throughout your garden. Rather than a traditional Garden In A Box with a set plant by number design, this garden provides individual plants to fill in the gaps and holes in your existing landscape. Featuring the Nursery’s favorite xeric perennials, the Xeric Greatest Hits Garden includes 14 plants that are extremely low-maintenance, easy to grow, and thrive in our dry and sometimes unpredictable Colorado climate. This garden will make it easy to add a splash of color and to customize your water savings just where you need it!
- 14 starter plants with 7 different varieties in 4-inch pots
- Plant as you wish! Plant by number layout not included.
- Exposure: Full Sun to Filtered Shade (Most of the plants require a minimum of 6 hrs. of Full Sun per day)
- Mature Height: 1 in. to 3 ft.
- Hardy To: 6,500 - 7,500 feet
- Colorful: Late Spring to Fall
- Benefits: Locally grown, pollinator friendly, and perfect for filling in gaps and holes in your landscape
What To Expect
- Xeric Gardens feature anywhere from 14 to 27 starter plants in 4-inch pots. Plants will be small relative to their mature size, and they will not be in full bloom.
- During the 1st and 2nd growing season, xeric plants will be in the establishment phase – requiring regular watering to encourage a deep taproot system, and not yet having reached their full size.
- On average, allow 3 years for your Xeriscape garden to reach full maturity!
- Gardens will easily fit in a small car. One garden will come in either one or two 2 ft. x 1ft. trays (pictured left).
Garden Varieties / Plant Specifics
Blue Avena Grass
Blue Cap Sea Holly
Fire Spinner Ice Plant
Attracts: Butterflies, Hummingbirds
Red Carpet Stonecrop
Rocky Mountain Penstemon
Attracts: Hummingbirds, Native Bees
Attracts: Butterflies, Hummingbirds
Most simply put, “Garden In A Box” is an easy, professionally designed, do it yourself xeric (low water) perennial kit.
Gardens include 14-27 starter plants that come in either 4-inch. These plants come in rectangular 2 ft. x 1 ft. trays (see photo below), and will be hardened-off and ready to plant when you pick them up!
Each garden also includes 1-4 professionally designed plant by number maps that make it easy to install your own perennial garden at home, and a comprehensive Plant and Care Guide that includes everything you will need to know to prepare for, plant, and maintain your new garden.
All gardens will be available for pick up at one of our convenient distribution locations during the month of September. (For the complete 2018 Garden In A Box pick up schedule, see below.) To select your pick up, you must “Proceed to Checkout” on our online store where you will then be prompted to select your pick up location, date, and time. We do not ship our plants.
You may be eligible for a $25 discount on our pre-planned Xeriscape garden collection through your water provider. To claim your discount you will have to first “Proceed to Check Out” in the garden store where you will be prompted to select your water provider. Your discount(s) should then automatically be applied to your order.
Discounts are limited, so make sure you order your garden sooner rather than later!
Note: The Xeric Greatest Hits garden is NOT eligible for the $25 discount.
The Xeric Greatest Hits garden is not eligible for the $25 discount.
- Saturday, September 15th
- Boulder County, Resource Central, 6400 Arapahoe Rd, 80303, 12-3pm
- Denver, Greenwood Village City Hall, 6060 S. Quebec St, 80111, 12-3pm
- Wednesday, September 19th
- Highlands Ranch, Civic Green Park: 9370 Ridgeline Blvd, Highlands Ranch, CO 80129, 4-7pm. Please enter from Burgundy street (the east side) and drive west to pick up your gardens. The pick up will take place at the west end of Green Ash Street along the sidewalk.
- Thursday, September 20th
- Northglenn (Adams County), Maintenance and Operations Facility, 12301 Claude Ct, 80241, 4-7pm
- Saturday, September 22nd
- Westminster/Arvada, Westminster City Hall, 4800 W 92nd Ave, 80031, 12-3pm
- Fort Collins/Loveland, Front Range Community College, 4616 S. Shields St, 80526, 12-3pm
- Greeley/Eaton, Greeley Xeric Gardens, 2503 Reservoir Rd, 80634, 12-3pm
Absolutely. Just make sure that they know the first and last name on the order and what exactly you ordered.
No, not exactly. Your Garden In A Box can easily be planted in a raised bed or garden “box,” but it does not include an actual box to plant the garden in. For full details on what your Garden In A Box does include, see above – “What is a ‘Garden In A Box’ and what does it include?”
Probably, but this will depend on how many gardens you have purchased. Each garden will come with either one or two 2 ft. x 1 ft. trays of plants, so please plan accordingly.
Gardens with one 2 ft. x 1 ft. tray:
• Purple Reign
• Xeric Greatest Hits
Gardens with two 2 ft. x 1 ft. trays:
• Morning Sunrise
• Seasons of Shade
• Cool Connection
All our plants are born and raised in Colorado. Our perennial plants come from Little Valley Wholesale Nursery in Brighton, one of the largest and most reputable nurseries in Colorado.
No. None of our plants have ever been treated with neonicotinoids.
What Customers Say
Watch Your Gardens Grow
“The process to order and pick up the gardens was simply amazing! Cannot wait to watch the gardens grow! Thank you so much!”
Town of Erie Customer
Xeriscape Made Easy
"We love our garden. The entire process of registering for a garden, pickup, and planting could not have been easier. Our garden is growing well and we are extremely pleased."
Denver Water Customer
A Great Experience
“This was my first year purchasing Garden In A Box, love it and will be back next year. The plants are all doing well, love receiving the planting designs. Pick up went so smoothly, thanks for a great experience.”
Denver Water Customer