Kick back, relax, and enjoy the view with the Summer Sanctuary garden! A longstanding Garden In A Box classic (formerly called Cool Connection) returns with soft hues of pinks, purples, and blues. Featuring Husker Red Penstemon, Dwarf Blue Larkspur, and Rose Queen Salvia, this garden will attract butterflies and hummingbirds to your yard. This garden includes 24 full sun plants and has four unique 72 sq. ft. plant by number designs.
- Designed By: Julia Viel, Horticulturist for the City of Boulder
- Covers: 75 sq. ft.
- 24 starter plants with 9 different varieties in 4-inch pots
- 4 plant by number layout options (12' x 6' rectangle, 10' diameter circle, 2 12' x 3' sidewalk strips, and 12' x 6' rectangle with wavy edge)
- Exposure: Full sun (requires a minimum of 6 hours per day)
- Mature Height Range: 6 in. to 4 ft.
- Hardiness Max: 7,000 ft.
- Bloom Time: Early spring to fall
- Locally grown
- Pollinator supporting
- 3 of 9 plants are native to Colorado
- 5 of 9 plants are deer resistant*
- 1 of 9 plants are rabbit resistant*
What To Expect
- Our xeric gardens feature anywhere from 14 to 30 starter plants in 4-inch pots.** Plants will be small relative to their mature size, and they will not be in full bloom.
- First year they sleep, second year they creep, third year they leap! During the 1st and 2nd growing season, xeric plants will be in the establishment phase – requiring regular watering to encourage a deep taproot system, and not yet having reached their full size.
- On average, allow 3 years for your Xeriscape garden to reach full maturity!
- Gardens will easily fit in a small car - yes, we're talking Mini Cooper small - unless you ordered multiple gardens (we're not judging). One garden will come in either one or two 2 ft. x 1 ft. trays (pictured left).
Blue Grama Grass
Coral Canyon Twinspur
Double Bubblemint Hyssop
Attracts: Hummingbirds, Butterflies
Dwarf Blue Larkspur
Attracts: Butterflies, Bees, Hummingbirds
Attracts: Bees, Butterflies, Birds
Husker Red Penstemon
Attracts: Bees, Butterflies, Hummingbirds
Attracts: Bees, Butterflies
Shenandoah Red Switchgrass
Attracts: Birds, Butterflies
Silver Brocade Sage
Attracts: Birds, Butterflies
What Customers Say
Support Native Pollinators
I was so excited to learn this program even existed last year. It is such a great idea and resource for those of us wanting to support native pollinators and lowering our watering is great too. All the plants I have are doing great!
Dacono, CO resident
Doing My Part
I love knowing that I am buying plants that are well suited for the Colorado environment and that I'm doing my part to save water. I get excited to come out and look at my flowers every day to see how they are changing. The plants are healthy, and communication was very clear.
Wheat Ridge, CO resident
Planting Maps for Ease
Happy with the plants' sizes and the clarity of explanation. I enjoyed planting them. I like the idea of pre-designed arrangement too.
Denver, CO resident