Lose the Lawn, Get a Free Garden In A Box
The Grass to Garden program makes it easy and affordable to swap thirsty grass for a beautiful waterwise yard. If you qualify, simply submit an application and review your project with us, then remove at least 200 square feet of watered and maintained grass. In return, you’ll get a FREE 200 square foot Garden In A Box and drip irrigation retrofit kit, valued at over $350! You’ll also have direct access to our team of xeriscape advisors who can help you along the journey to a waterwise yard. The Grass to Garden program is available in select areas only and supplies are limited.
How It Works
STEP 1: Sign Up
Share your contact information by submitting the 1-minute enrollment form below or by calling 303-999-3820 ext. 221. Don’t start removing grass until you are formally accepted into the program!
STEP 2: Submit and Review an Application
If you qualify, we’ll send you a few introductory resources and a copy of the application. Be sure to submit the application by the deadline in mid March and remember that projects are approved on a first-come, first-served basis. After we approve your application, we’ll give you a call to answer questions and formally confirm your participation.
Step 3: Remove Grass and Save!
Once you’ve signed the program contract, you can start removing turf by (almost) any method of your choice, including our new Lawn Removal Service. When you’re done, send us a photo and pick up your free Garden In A Box in May!
To qualify for the Grass to Garden program and receive a free 200 sq. ft. Garden In A Box, you must meet all the following requirements. The program is only available for residential properties.
- You must be a current customer of a participating water utility and provide your account number and physical address. Participating utilities will be announced in February 2020. Sign up here and you will be notified if you qualify. In 2019, City of Boulder, Lafayette, Louisville, and Westminster water customers were eligible.
- You must submit a complete program application, including ‘before’ photo, by the deadline in mid March. The application review process is competitive. Your project must demonstrate significant water savings to be approved.
- You must sign a program contract agreeing that:
- The area of lawn to be removed is currently watered and maintained on a regular schedule
- You will plant and maintain your Garden In A Box for it’s full lifespan, about seven years
- You will properly adjust your irrigation system and/or watering schedule to account for the new low-water landscape
- You will post your project on our companion website, WaterwiseYards.org
- You must begin removing at least 200 square feet of watered and maintained grass before your scheduled Garden In A Box pickup date, typically in May. You must provide photographic proof that you’ve begun removing grass. You may remove the grass by the method of your choice including a sod cutter, by hand, by sheet mulching, or by solarizing. Chemical removal is not permitted. You may also use our Lawn Removal Service. DO NOT START removing grass until you’ve signed the program contract.
- Lawn Removal 101
- Irrigation 101
- Grass to Garden: Step by Step
- Front Range Resource List
- 6 Steps to Transforming Your Lawn Video
- Spray-to-Drip Irrigation Conversion Video
- Transforming Your Lawn into a Xeriscape Garden Presentation
- “Water Savings Coming Soon” Yard Sign
- Example of a Landscape Design
- Rocky Mountain Retreat: Full Sun Garden
- Mountain Shadows: Part Shade Garden
Need Landscape Design Help?
Check out our new website, Waterwiseyards.org, for ideas and stories from your neighbors. Learn the techniques and find the resource you need!
Still have Questions?
Email us at TurfRemoval@ResourceCentral.org or give us a call at 303-999-3820 ext. 221. We are here to help you succeed!