Lose the Lawn, Get Free Low-water Plants!
The Grass to Garden program makes it easy and affordable to swap thirsty grass for a beautiful waterwise yard. If your water utility participates, simply submit an application and review your project with us. Then, remove at least 200 square feet of watered and maintained grass by the method of your choice. In return, we’ll give you two FREE low-water Garden In A Box gardens and a drip irrigation retrofit kit, worth over $350! You’ll also have direct access to our team of xeriscape advisors who can help you along the journey to a waterwise yard. The Boulder, Lafayette, Louisville, and Westminster programs are full as of March 2021 but you may still add your name to the waiting list.
How It Works
STEP 1: Sign Up
Share your contact information by submitting the 1-minute enrollment form below or by calling 303-999-3820 ext. 221. Don’t start removing grass until you’ve signed the participant agreement!
STEP 2: Submit and Review an Application
If you qualify, we’ll send you a few introductory resources and a link to the application in January or February. Be sure to submit the full application by March 29, 2021. Remember that projects are approved on a first-come, first-served basis. After we review your application, we’ll have a quick phone consultation to answer questions and formally confirm your participation.
Step 3: Remove Grass and Save!
Once you’ve signed the program agreement, you can start removing turf by (almost) any method of your choice, including our new Lawn Removal Service. When you’re done, send us a photo and pick up your two free Garden In A Box in May!
In 2021, the Grass to Garden program is available to City of Boulder, Fountain, Lafayette, Louisville, Westminster, and Little Thompson Water District customers while supplies last. The Boulder, Lafayette, Louisville, and Westminster programs are full as of March 2021 but you may still add your name to the waiting list. Customers of other water utilities can always purchase a Garden In A Box.
To qualify for the Grass to Garden program and receive two free large (100 sq. ft.) Garden In A Box, you must meet all the following requirements. Additionally, the program is only available for residential properties.
- You must be a current customer of a participating water utility and provide your account number and physical address. 2021 participating utilities include the cities of Boulder, Fountain, Lafayette, Louisville, Westminster and the Little Thompson Water District.
- You must submit a complete program application, including ‘before’ photo, by the deadline on March 29th. The application review process is competitive. Your project must demonstrate significant water savings.
- You must sign a program contract agreeing that you will:
- Remove at least 200 square feet of existing grass lawn that is watered and maintained on a regular schedule.
- Plant and maintain your Garden In A Box for it’s full lifespan, about seven years.
- Properly adjust your irrigation system and/or watering schedule to account for the new low-water landscape.
- Pick up your Garden In A Box at the designated date and location. This is typically in May within 15 miles of your city.
- Post your project on our companion website, WaterwiseYards.org
- You must remove approximately 75% of the grass in your project area BEFORE picking up your Garden In A Box in May or early June. You must provide photographic proof that you’ve begun removing grass. You may remove the grass by the method of your choice including a sod cutter, by hand, by sheet mulching, or by solarizing. However, chemical removal is not permitted. You may also use our Lawn Removal Service for $2 per square foot. DO NOT START removing grass until you’ve signed the program contract.
Need Landscape Design Help?
Check out our new website, Waterwiseyards.org, for ideas and stories from your neighbors. Learn the techniques and find resources!
Still have Questions?
Check out our Grass to Garden FAQs, email us at TurfRemoval@ResourceCentral.org, or give us a call at 303-999-3820 ext. 221.